The year 2020 was a challenging a year for the entire world. People had to undergo financial, health and several other issues with a global pandemic knocking at everyone’s front door. Despite such dire and trying circumstances, the Rotaract Club of Colombo Mid-Town endeavoured to change the despondent spirits of the people within communities in and out of Sri Lanka.
The biggest challenge that presented itself was, projects usually conducted physically per the old norm, had to be transitioned to virtual means. This was no mean feat: encouraging member participation, effective planning and execution of projects had to be done in ways of impacting people at home.
So we took up the opportunity to make the best use of circumstances and a year later we reaped the rewards of our perseverance and diligent work by bagging multiple awards at the 31st Rotaract District Assembly, held on the 10th of July.
The awards are listed as follows;
Awards for Club Performance & Project Execution
1. Most Resilient Club Award
2. Most Supportive Club
3. Most outstanding membership development and retention efforts
4. Most outstanding community service initiative under Rotary Focus Area ‘Basic Education and Literacy’ – Project Brighter Bee 360°
5. Most Participative Club
1. Outstanding Club Service initiative for fellowship – Mid Town Bash
2. Outstanding club service initiative for membership development
3. Most Outstanding Together SL initiative
1. Most outstanding Rotary family initiative – Project Blind Walk 2020
2. Most outstanding social media presence
3. Most outstanding club blog
4. Best Fund Management
5. Most Impactful Professional Development Initiative – Youth Career Empowerment Series
Special Recognitions & Individual Awards
- Special DRR Recognition – Stress Buster Open Mic Night
- President of the month of October – Rtr. Dina Ali
- PR Advocate (Photography) – Haneef Mohammed
- Spirit of service award – Kaizer Majid
- Recognition for hosting district projects – 30th Rotaract District Assembly, District Committee Meeting (August), Covid-19 relief force
These awards bear testimony to the resilience and dedication put in by the club during the previous year, and their need to give back to the country in whichever manner possible. It is also noteworthy that the District Rotaract Representative for the year 2021-2022, Rtr. Akhila Adishwara is a Mid Towner himself.
As we move into our 42nd year of service, the incoming board would like to congratulate IPP.Rtr. Dina Ali and her board of directors for their commendable efforts over the course of the previous year. Their contribution towards the movement has only set the bar higher for achieving the impossible in the upcoming year.